Some people pursue enlightenment by sitting quietly and probing their inner consciousness; I make plane reservations. ~ Madeleine Albright

Friday, June 7, 2013

Bayeux Day 3 (part 2 of 2 for today)

 

This afternoon was spent at the Bayeux Cemetery which is basically a British cemetery for WWII soldiers.

Like yesterday at the American Cemetery, it felt like a hallowed and sacred place, but this cemetery felt much more English. Notice the "English garden" look of the place with roses and other flowers planted all along each row of markers. Another difference is that many of the markers have personal inscriptions from the soldiers' families. That's what really choked me up. Although the cemetery looked different than yesterday's, I was still just as overwhelmed and cried the whole time we were there. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

One of the saddest things to me is that you can imagine many of these fallen soldiers had fathers, uncles, etc. who had already perished 20 years earlier in WWI. The heartache these families must have suffered through two wars is unimaginable...

That's all for tonight.

 

1 comment:

  1. So moving....I'm not even there but tears are in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete